Masticating juicers are also called slow juicers or cold press juicers. They don’t use a high speed, like the centrifugal juicers, to get juices from your produce. The masticating juicers have augers that crush your produce slowly when they’re pushed through the feed chute. After they are slowly crushed they are pushed through a mesh liner where your produce juice is separated from the pulp.
Since the masticating juicers run slowly, they produce more juice from your produce and don’t heat up your juices like the centrifugal juicers do. Without the the higher heat, you’ll gain more of the nutrients in your finished juice compared to the centrifugal juicers. Take a look at the comparison table below to see some of the key differences between the centrifugal and masticating juicers.
So What Are 10 Important Differences Between These Juicers?
- The cost difference between these juicers is large, but when you compare the amount of juice you’ll get from the masticating juicers, which are more expensive, compared with the centrifugal machines, you will save money in the long run.
- The centrifugal juicers will give you juice from your produce very quickly with the higher speed motor, but the fast juicing causes a lot of the nutrients your looking to find in your juice to be broken down and lost. However, the slower speed of the masticating juicer gives you more juice from the same amount of produce, up to 30-50% more along with the nutrition you most likely are looking to find when your juice is finished.
- The masticating juicers run at a slower speed which keeps the motor cool. The centrifugal juicers run at a higher speed, which causes your juice to get heated and in return breaks down and looses a lot of vital nutrients in your juice.
- The higher speed of the centrifugal juicers causes a faster oxidation rate which not only kills vital nutrients in your juice but also causes more foam in your juice and faster separation of your juices.
- The taste of your fresh juice is better with the slow masticating juicers because you’re getting more juice from your produce at a slower, cooler speed compared to the centrifugal juicers.
- The centrifugal juicers typically have a larger chute compared to the masticating juicers so you can use whole pieces of produce. The masticating juicers typically have a smaller feed chute so you’ll need to cut your produce up a bit more, but again, you gain more juice.
- Masticating juicers have more abilities than just making juice from your produce. If you want to make your own flours, nut butters, nut milks, fresh spices, pastas and even homemade baby foods, the masticating juicer is what you’re looking for. The centrifugal juicers are not built to do much extra except juicing your produce.
- The noise level between the centrifugal juicer and the masticating juicers are very different. The masticating juicers slower speed compared to the centrifugals high speed motors allows the noise of the masticating juicers to be significantly lower.
- If you want to juice larger amounts of juice at a time without the worry of it going sour for a day or two, then you want to stay away from the centrifugal juicers. The heat from the centrifugal juicers, which cause a faster separation rate of the fresh juice, should be consumed within 24hours. Whereas the masticating juicers slower speed allows the juice to stay fresh up to 48 hours or more. If you only want to juice every few days but want to have juice for a few days, you’ll want a masticating juicer.
- Using fresh leafy greens, (kale, spinach, lettuce, etc.) does not produce much juice with the centrifugal juicers. You will find a lot of the leafy green produce left very wet and even still whole when using them in the centrifugal juicers. The masticating juicing press feature produces almost 100% of the juice from your leafy greens and very dry pulp, without having to put it through the juicer more than once. The centrifugal juicers are not capable of producing juice from wheatgrass, unlike the masticating juicers which do it with ease. So if you are looking to add a lot of leafy greens, fresh herbs or wheatgrass to your juices, you will need a slow masticating juicer to get the juice into your glass.
The Bottom Line
If you want a quick glass of fresh juice and don’t mind a bit more foam or the loss of some nutrients, then you will be just fine with a centrifugal juicer. If you are looking for the most nutrients and the ability to use leafy greens, fresh herbs and wheatgrass, then you will need a masticating juicer.
For most of us a juicer is an investment for better health and well being. For those who just want to enjoy a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice or vegetable juice and have no desire to add the green stuff, then you don’t need a masticating juicer. If you are looking for a simple, fast juicer to make fruit juices, you can find the Best Centrifugal Juicers of 2019 HERE
If you are a more serious juicing enthusiast, then keep reading on, next we will dive into the best masticating juicers of 2019 so you can find the perfect machine for your needs!
The Best Masticating Juicers of 2019
#1 The Omega J8006HDS Nutrition Center
The Omega 800 nutrition center is one of the top rated masticating juicers on the market today. The Omega brand is loyal to creating the best juicers, blenders and drink machines. They focus on creating only these types of machines which allows them to stay focused to what we, the consumers are looking for in a juicing machine and giving us the most for our money.
What Does The Omega J8006HDS Offer You?
This masticating juicer uses 80 rpm’s to make its motor run. The slower speed of the motor allows for minimal heating and oxidation, giving you more of the essential vitamins, minerals and enzymes from your produce.
You can enjoy your freshly made juice up to 72 hours after it’s done. So go ahead and make your juice to last you up to 3 days in advance without the worry of loosing flavor or any of the nutrients.
The slower motor extracts more of the juices out of your produce so you won’t lose money on wasted juices left behind in the pulp, it will all come out into your glass
You can use everything your heart desires to create the perfect juices that fancy your tastebuds including all those leafy greens, fresh herbs and even wheatgrass.
This machine has the ability of creating fresh nut butters, if you roast the nuts your going to use for your butter then you’ll find a creamier texture when it comes out into your bowl. You can also use raw nuts and add the appropriate oil, peanut, cashew, almond, etc., oil to your nut butter and make it the perfect constancy for you. Take a look below and see how easy and fast it is to make fresh nut butters with this machine.
You can even make pasta with this machine all you have to do is make your fresh pasta dough, cut it and roll it into a small cylinder shape that fits in the feeding tube, attach your preferred pasta nozzle, turn the machine on feed the pasta dough through and as your pasta comes out, just cut it to your preferred length. Let it dry as per the dough instructions your using and you have easy fresh pasta.
What Are The Pros & Cons of The Omega J8006HDS Nutrition Center?
- Get all of the juices out of your produce with the slower 80 rpm motor. Whether you’re juicing simple apples, carrots and celery or adding fresh leafy greens like spinach and kale, you will find a very dry pulp left behind so you know that the juice in all of your produce are coming out in your finished juice.
- Since the masticating juicer crushes the juice out of your produce instead of slicing and dicing it along with the slow motor. you’ll have the nutrients from everything you juice right in your glass. There isn’t a high heat like the centrifugal juicers destroying any of the nutrients.
- The slower speed and the auger of this masticating juicer allow the juice to come slowly, which reduces the foam left in your juice not to mention the shelf life to drink what you’ve made. You will have up to 3 days to drink the juice you’ve made without loosing the wanted nutrients from your labor.
- With the high yield of juice you’ll get from this juicer you’re not throwing your money away on produce for juicing. You will get the most out of everything you put through this machine allowing you to save money on your produce unlike the centrifugal juicers that don’t get as much out of juice out into your glass.
- You will find the ability to do so much more than just juice with this machine so you can go beyond just juicing to improve your health. You can make fresh nut butters, grind your own flours and coffee beans and make homemade pastas with healthier doughs.
- Compared to the centrifugal juicers, you will need a little more time to clean your machine properly. However, after you get use to this juicer, it shouldn’t take you more than 15- 20 minutes to have it spic and span.
- You may find when using frozen foods to make sorbets and such, that they can stick to the sides of the machine easily. Just be patient and you will get that fresh sorbet into your bowl using the food pusher.
- Your juice won’t come out as quickly as a centrifugal juicer, the centrifugal juicer gets the juice into your glass very quickly. However, quicker isn’t always better since there is a much higher heat with the centrifugal motors which in turn break your finished juices down very fast and cause a lot of the nutrients to be lost with the higher heat of the motors.
You can learn more about the Omega J8006HDS at Amazon. Read over 3000 customer reviews from people just like you who have purchased this juicer. Having the reviews to read can help you make a better decision before making such a large purchase and help you make sure that this would be the best fit in your kitchen.
#2 The Breville BJS7000SIL Big Squeeze
The Breville company has been around since 1932 and is located in Australia. They focus on smaller kitchen appliances such as toasters, coffee makers, juicers, etc.. This is a brand name that you can trust to have excellent customer service. They stand by their products and are always looking to improve their designs to make them more efficient for their customers.
What Does The Breville Big Squeeze Offer You?
This is an excellent masticating juicer that not only crushes your produce to get the juice out but squeezes it as well, giving you the most juice you could possibly get from your produce. The juice is extracted from your produce with a screw and filter design, when you put your produce into the feed chute, it is rotated around the large auger screw to break it down and then crushed to extract all of the juices.
Unlike other masticating juicers on the market, the big squeeze has a wide chute opening, 3″ to be exact and a smaller feed chute for your smaller produce such as, celery, carrots, fresh herbs, etc.. This is the only masticating juicer on the market that offers a larger feed chute allowing you to push whole pieces of produce right through without cutting them down.
Masticating juicers need to be taken apart to thoroughly clean them between juicing recipes, this can add an extra 15-20 minutes to your juicing routine. The Breville Big Squeeze cut the cleaning time down by adding their quick rinse technology.
Just open the feed tube, fill with water, turn it on to clean then get rid of the dirty water through the spout. This is a really great feature if your making different juices to get you through a few days and don’t want the flavor from one going into the next batch.
The size of this juicer is convenient compared to other masticating juicing machines. The Breville Big Squeeze is only 12 lbs., and is taller instead of wider, making it easy to leave out on your countertop to use daily.
Take a Closer Look at How The Breville BJS7000SIL Works
As you can see in the video, there is a spout plug that holds your juice inside the machine and slowly mixes it around so you get a blended juice instead of it just pouring into your container as each piece of produce is pushed through. This feature gives you a better tasting juice with some of the fiber making your juice a little thicker and smoother compared to other masticating juicers.
What Are The Pros & Cons of The Breville FJS7000SIL Big Squeeze?
- The auger with this juicer is very large allowing your produce to be broken up very well before being squeezed. This ensures you get the most juice out of your produce and saving you money in the long run.
- Grab all those leafy greens and your wheatgrass, you will get all the juice and nutrients from them using this machine.
- The 3″ feed tube is only found on the Breville FJS7000SIL masticating juicer. They are common with the centrifugal juicers but with other masticating juicers you have to cut up your larger fruits and veggies. This will be a time saver for you when your juicing.
- Other masticating juicers have the juice pouring right into your glass as you push each piece of produce through the chute. You have a plug on the spout of the Big Squeeze juicer, so as you push each piece of produce through the chute your juice is kept inside the bottom chamber, slowly rotating, mixing your produce juices together. When you’re done juicing open the plug and out pours your juice already mixed and ready to drink.
- You have the ability to make fresh nut milks and butters with the Breville Big Squeeze giving you more versatility than the centrifugal juicers.
- The slow rotating auger and crushing of your produce keeps the motor cool so you don’t destroy essential enzymes, vitamins and minerals your looking to get out of your produce. You will also find minimal foam in your finished glass of juice.
- You will find a 240 watt motor with this juicer allowing for ultra quiet operation. If you like to juice early but don’t want to wake others up, this is a great feature to have.
- The weight of this juicer is only 12 lbs. and is taller instead of wider making it easy to leave on your countertop without loosing valuable space in your kitchen.
- It is not recommended to make sorbets with this machine because it becomes clogged from the frozen produce and stuck to the walls around the auger.
- The pulp waste container is smaller than other masticating juicers so you’ll need to empty it more when your juicing.
- Other customers have said that you will find it clogging up when juicing celery, which is a main staple in the juicing world. To avoid this you should cut the celery up into smaller pieces so you can avoid this problem.
Learn more about the Breville BJS7000SIL Big Squeeze by reading other consumer reviews on Amazon and make sure this would be a good fit for your juicing needs before purchasing.
#3 The Omega VRT350 Heavy Duty Low Speed Vertical Masticating Juicer
The Omega VRT350 is a bit simpler than the Omega J8006, which is the top choice for the best masticating juicers of 2019. Unlike the J8006 model, the VRT350 doesn’t have the ability to make your pastas and nut butters but juices your produce including leafy greens with ease. You’ll find a great quality product with the Omega brand who takes pride in creating the best small kitchen appliances for their consumers.
What Does The Omega VRT350 Masticating Juicer Offer You?
You will find an upright compact design with the VRT350 which takes little space on your countertop so you can keep it out to use whenever you want. Although this masticating juicer is smaller than others on the market, it will squeeze the juice out of your produce and leafy greens with little effort.
You will find 2 juicing screens with this juicer, a fine screen and a course screen allowing you to control the amount of pulp you want in your finished juice. If you like a thinner juice with little to no pulp, use the fine screen. For a thicker more fibrous juice you’ll want to choose the course screen.
There is a 150 watt motor with this model that rotates at 80 rpm’s. The slower speed allows for your produce and leafy greens to maintain the vital nutrients in your finished juice. The oxidation speed of your juice is also much lower because of the lower speed and heat from the motor, which means you can take up to 72 hours to drink your juice without the worry of losing all the nutrients.
The pulp that you’ll find left behind is very dry so you know that the most juices you could get from your produce made it to your glass.
Take a Closer Look at How The Omega VRT350 Works
As you can see in the video this machine works really well with all your produce, soft, hard, leafy greens and even wheatgrass. If all your looking for is a simple machine to make juices this is a really great choice.
If you’re looking to have the ability to make fresh fruit sorbets, nut butters and milks, this model isn’t the best choice for you. This is a straight up produce juicer.
Let’s Look at The Pros & Cons of The Omega VRT350
- Juice everything your heart desires with this masticating juicer from your lettuce, kale, spinach to harder fruits and veggies like, carrots, ginger root, pineapple or pomegranates. If you are looking to juice softer fruits such as oranges, lemons or tomatoes, you will find it works very well to get all the juice out of them as well.
- Smaller upright design weighing only 18 lbs, making it easy for you to leave it on your kitchen counter or put it away and take out without any trouble.
- Taking this juicer apart and putting back together is simple when it’s time to clean up and if you just want to have a quick clean between juicing recipes, simply pour water down the produce chute, turn the machine on and let the machine do the work for you
- The low motor speed keeps the heat out of your fresh juice and leaves the vital nutrients in your finished juice. You will find a lower oxidation rate allowing you to drink the fruits of your labor for up to 72 hours after juicing without your juice separating or loosing the nutrients from your produce.
- The pulp is left very dry so you know you’re getting the most juice extracted from your produce and not wasting your money
- There is a 10 year limited warranty which is above and beyond what most companies offer
- You won’t be able to make fresh nut milks, butters, flours or pastas with the Omega VRT350. It’s also not recommended to use it for making fresh sorbets or smoothies. This juicer is excellent for juicing but that’s about all.
- When juicing celery, which is a main staple for most of us in the juicing world, you will need to cut it up small. Being that celery is a stringy veggie it clogs up the pulp screen and the chute and can be a pain in the butt to clean out.
You can learn more about the Omega VRT350 Heavy Duty Masticating Juicer at Amazon. Read other customer reviews, over 1000, who have purchased this juicer to help you make a better decision before buying it yourself.
#4 The Kuvings NJE-358OU Masticating Slow Juicer
The Kuvings brand was established in 1978 out of Germany. The name is a german language combination that means, kitchen living. This company strives to make the most innovative juicers and blenders on the market for both home and commercial kitchens.
Kuvings holds over 1,400 patents with their products and parts along with countless international design awards in over 80 countries. You can expect to find the best quality juicers with the most up to date designs and features since this is the main focus of this company.
What Does The Kuvings Masticating Slow Juicer Offer You?
This juicer will offer you much more than just simple wholesome juice. You will find the ability of grinding fresh herbs and garlic, make homemade pastas, grind your own fresh meats along with making fresh, nutritional sorbets, ice creams or smoothies.
Here is a look at the attachments that come with the juicer:
- Use your juicing nozzles, you have an extra included, for making your fresh juice and smoothies
- The mincing nozzle will make fresh crushed garlic and herbs along with grinding coffee beans or crushed ice
- The rice cake nozzle will obviously make rice cakes but can also make some homemade ramen noodles
- There are 2 pasta noodle nozzles, a large round and a small round, choose the noodle size you want and enjoy homemade pastas
- The large and flat pasta noodle sizes will make linguini or fettuccini along with grinding your fresh meats
How About Making Juice What Can This Machine Do?
You will find a 170 watt motor that rotates at 80 rpm’s, like most masticating juicers do but there is a specially designed 3D screw that cuts your produce finely down before extracting your juice. This ensures you get the most juice out of your produce.
When you drop your produce into the chute it is pulled down to the auger screw without the help of a pusher. This makes it easy to keep feeding in your fruits and veggies without the extra time of pushing it through so it doesn’t get clogged.
Feel free to add all the leafy greens, wheatgrass and fresh herbs that you want. You’ll find a very dry pulp and all of your leafy greens are finely shredded so you’re getting all the rich nutrients you can from them.
Take a Look For Yourself at What The Kuvings NJE-358OU Can Do
As you can see in the video, you can just put your produce right into the juicer and it’s pulled right down to be cut apart very well before extracting the juices. A lot of juicers have trouble with more fibrous fruits and veggies, especially celery, clogging their juicers. With this Kuvings, the celery was finely cut and pressed with little to no fibers clogging the chute.
The powerful motor will cut and juice your harder produce, ginger root, pomegranates, turnips, ginger, fennel, etc., along with making nut butters and milks very easily.
What Are The Pros & Cons of The Kuvings NJE-358OU Masticating Slow Juicer?
- Heavy duty motor that gets the most out of all your produce, whether it’s soft as an orange or hard as a beet.
- Leafy greens such as kale, lettuce, spinach, etc., plus all of the fresh herbs you’d like to add are juiced very well, leaving behind a dry pulp and no large pieces that have to be put through a second or third time.
- You can make homemade desserts such as smoothies, ice creams and sorbets easily with the included blank screen.
- If you’re looking for more out of juicer, this machine delivers with the ability to make pastas, grind meats, coffee beans or ice along with mincing fresh garlic and herbs with the 6 nozzle attachments.
- There is a decelerator gear inside the motor, this reduces the noise and vibration when you’re using this slow juicer
- You will find a compact design which includes a built in cord storage along with a cover to protect your juicer when it’s not being used.
- You will get about 30 minutes of use at any one time before needing to rest the motor for a little bit. For many people this isn’t a problem but some may find it a hassle.
Learn more about the Kavings masticating slow juicer at Amazon. You will find over 100 customer reviews along with questions and answers to help you make a better decision before purchasing the juicer you need.
#5 The Hurom H-AA Slow Juicer
The Hurom brand was established in 1974 as a kitchen appliance company. They pride themselves on making the best juicers that help people live healthier lifestyles. The first auger, slow squeeze juicer was created in 2005 by the Hurom company and is globally patented. You will find they are focused on making the best juicers for consumers looking to live healthier lifestyles.
What Does The Hurom H-AA Slow Juicer Offer You?
If you’re picky about the amount of pulp that comes out with your fresh juice, the Hurom H-AA juicer offers a pulp control lever along with both a fine and coarse strainer to control the pulp level you want in your finished glass of juice.
The slow squeeze technology with this juicer will leave you with the maximum juice from your produce. Your juicing ingredients are squeezed at 43 revolutions per minute to mimic hand squeezing. This offers you the most juice with all the flavor you expect from your fresh produce.
If your looking to use your juicer for more than just fresh juice, you’re in luck with the Hurom H-AA. You can make nut milks and butters, tofu, smoothies and even fresh healthy ice creams with this juicer. You won’t be limited to adding just juice into your healthy routine with this juicer.
Are you looking to make fresh green juices? Kale, spinach, wheat grass, lettuce, celery and any other leafy greens are easily juiced with this machine and your pulp will be bone dry. You can expect to get all the juice possible from your produce.
The slower juicing process allows you retain the most nutrition from your produce compared to the faster centrifugal juicers. You will have a much lower oxidation rate which keeps your juice from separating quickly and allows you to store it for 72 hours with minimal nutrients loss.
Watch the video below to see what the Hurom H-AA slow juicer can do for you
As you can see in the video, you can use this juicer to make a wide range of healthy recipes using fruits, veggies, leafy greens, wheat grass and nuts. You won’t be limited to simple juice recipes, add fresh nut milks and butters or healthy sorbets and smoothies and even fresh tofu to your menu.
What Are The Pros & Cons of The Hurom H-AA Slow Juicer?
- The slow squeeze technology gives you the most juice your produce has to offer
- The slow motor keeps your juice from heating reducing the oxidation rate of your juice keeping it fresh longer
- The minimal oxidation rate allows for the highest concentration of vital nutrients and enzymes you expect to get from your fresh squeezed produce
- The pulp control lever along with the fine and coarse strainers, gives you complete control of the amount of pulp you have in your finished glass of juice
- Make your celery and green juices with ease. You can use all the leafy greens your heart desires with this juicer and feel confident that all of the juice they offer are left in your glass
- Add more than just fresh juice to your healthy routine. You can make fresh nut milks, butters, smoothies, ice cream and even tofu easily. This offers you many other ways to get all the nutritional value fresh produce has to offer aside from simply juicing
- Make larger batches of fresh juice at one time and enjoy up to 72 hours later with minimal loss of nutrients
- Makes fresh juice with the maximum flavor of your produce with the mimicked motion of hand juicing
- Easy to clean with the water rinse feature between juicing recipes. There’s no need to disassemble this juicer after each recipe, wait until your done with all your recipes before giving it a complete washing
- Sleek, stylish, compact design allows you to leave it out on your counter for easy accessibility without taking up a ton of your counter space
- You need to cut up some of your produce, carrots, celery, apples, etc., to get the maximum juice from them
Learn more about the Huron H-AA slow juicer at Amazon where you will find over 70 customer reviews to help you make a better choice before purchasing the best slow juicer for your needs.